Classic - New Look 6230

Thursday, 25 September 2014

I'm still finishing up WIPs.  I have no idea why it took me so long to finish this top, all I needed to do was add the neckband and hem it.

This is New Look 6230 in a white ponte knit and black textured poly jacquard.

I cut a size 14, added an extra 1.5 inches inches length through the waist and an extra inch to the sleeve length and at the hem.  I also ended up letting out the side seams slightly from just below the bust to the hem, I seem to have accumulated an extra layer of winter padding!

I had to put dart at the top of the shoulders so that the neckline would sit flush against my skin.  I think that is a result of the bulky fabric I used, not necessarily the pattern.  I also had issues with the raglan sleeves not matching up properly at the neckline, the back sleeve was about half an inch longer.  

For me the neckline is also too wide, which is not something I usually need to adjust for and certainly not something that is reflected in the photo on the pattern envelope.  The fit would also have benefited from a sway back adjustment, maybe next time!

Overall it's a nice top and I may use the pattern again in a more fluid fabric.

The Matrix Dress - Simplicity 1873

Friday, 19 September 2014

Operation 'Clear the decks in September' is off to a great start.  I had a bit of sewing time last weekend and managed to complete three items and I'm feeling pretty good about them too!  Excuse the wrinkles in the photos - I'd just finished work.

This dress is Simplicity 1873, previously made here.  I loved this dress and knew that I'd be making it again.  I fixed the back issues I had last time but looking at these photos, particularly the one below, I think that the back also needs a little bit of length taken out.  It's probably also a smidgen tight, but how good is that invisible zipper!

I know I'm often pretty down on Spotlight fabrics but I really like their printed cotton sateens. This one was labelled Matrix green and it kind of stuck in my head, hence the Matrix dress.

When I went to cut this out I realised that it had light and dark stripes running through the pattern.  So while I didn't worry about pattern matching, I did make sure that I kept the light and dark stripes consistent.

When I purchased the fabric I forgot what a fabric hog this skirt is.  Like last time I ended up folding out several of the pleats just so that I could fit all the pattern pieces on.  I've still got a lovely full skirt, but I've removed the pleats which would have sat on my hips.  I should have added a couple inches to the skirt length, but completely forgot.  It's a little shorter than I usually prefer to wear to work, but I think I can get away with it.  

I love my Matrix dress and I received several compliments from people who don't usually comment on my clothes, which just made my day.  I had planned to wear this with a Nettie bodysuit underneath - I have the pattern and the fabric but decided against starting another new project :)  I'm really glad this dress is finished and in my wardrobe.

Dance leotard...just because.

Monday, 8 September 2014

No plans for September sewing - I really need to clear off the WIPs first.  Too many things on the go has me feeling really unsettled.  So, I'm hoping that I can clear the sewing decks in September.

I made these leotards a few weeks ago.  Just because Paige asked.  And asked.  And asked.  You get the picture.  Paige tells me she has been asking for over three years so I guess it was time I came to the party.

Paige doesn't take dance lessons, or calisthenics, or gymnastics.  But she loves to do hand stands and cart wheels and walk overs with the best of them.  She'll spend hours flipping on the carpet in the lounge room.

In the last 40% off sale at Spotlight I picked up this beautiful blue, four way stretch velour.   I went through my Ottobre magazines and picked out design #30 from spring 2007 (1/2007).  Paige wanted long sleeves and no ruffles or frills.

I ended up making a size 122 and adding an extra 1 1/4 inches of length through the body and I think I added about 3 inches extra length to the sleeves which I ended up leaving unfinished or they would have been too short.

This was so much fun to make.  Super quick - all done on the sewing machine and it fits pretty well.

Then I made another one in some loud orange and silver lycra I picked up on the Spotlight discount table.  I added another inch to the length through the body this time as the blue one tends to creep up when she's flipping.  You can see the difference the extra length makes in the photos below.

These are so much fun to make - really quick and easy!

I managed to do a little sewing Sunday afternoon so one of my WIPs is almost finished - hopefully I can show you later this week.