This Lola's no show girl

Wednesday, 28 August 2013

After seeing this fabulous version of Victory Patterns Lola dress I had to get myself a copy.  It looked like the perfect casual winter dress, great with a pair of boots and tights.

I downloaded the pattern, taped it all together, cut into my beautiful new ponti from Tessuti, top stitched all my seams and then tried it on.

That's not a happy face is it?

This dress is absolutely enormous.  I look six months pregnant.  Seeing Lara's version only rubbed salt into my wounds.  No one else mentioned the sizing being funky.  My measurements almost exactly matched the measurements on the pattern size chart - in fact they were slightly larger than those on the pattern but I figured I'd get away with it.  Looks like I could have gone down a couple of sizes.

What an awful waste of beautiful fabric, I hope I can salvage it.  I'm planning to order this skirt in the very near future and hopefully I can squeeze it out of the panels on this failure.  I might try this pattern again sometime next winter.

On a happier note I've found a Lola that I love.  Ohhh Lulu's Lola undies.  They're fabulous.  I made two test pairs in random cotton lycra scraps and I can't wait to make some pretty ones in nicer fabrics.  The suggested leg finish is to turn under and twin needle - which I tried on my other pair.  On this pair I used fold over elastic.  I prefer the finish of the FOE, but I think it all depends on the fabrics you use.

I treated myself to another couple of pieces of fabric from Tessuti and managed to finish cutting out a pair of pants tonight.  Hopefully I can blog them next week.

Golden shoulders - Burda 09/2012 #123A

Monday, 12 August 2013

Yep, still here.  Thanks for all your kind words and well wishes.  I shout my good news from the roof tops and then disappear for a month.  I'm not too proud to say that there have been days lately where I have been so tired that I've wanted to cry.  But, hey it's character building, right?!

Sewing.  You came here for the sewing.  Well I have managed to squeeze in tiny little bits of sewing and during one of those sessions I made Burda 09/2012 #123A.  I loved Christy's version but I don't go anywhere to wear actual sparkles - so I used matte sequins instead.

I love the way this top turned out.  I cut my usual Burda 42 and added an extra two inches in length to the body and one inch to the sleeves.  I didn't need to.  I'll leave the sleeves but when I get the chance I'll go back and take two inches off the hem.  Sorry about the dodgy photos - it's never easy to take pictures of yourself in winter.

I've never sewn with sequins before and it was pretty fun.  Messy, but fun.  I really love the matte sequins and I can see it pared with more white fabric in some sort of summer dress...but not just yet because it's cold and it's wet and I want some more warm clothes to wear.

I haven't had much of a chance to comment on other blogs, but when I get the chance I love to check in on you all and get my sewing fix.  The online sewing community is such a great place.  Hopefully it won't be another month before my next post.