After seeing this fabulous version of Victory Patterns Lola dress I had to get myself a copy. It looked like the perfect casual winter dress, great with a pair of boots and tights.
I downloaded the pattern, taped it all together, cut into my beautiful new ponti from Tessuti, top stitched all my seams and then tried it on.
That's not a happy face is it?
This dress is absolutely enormous. I look six months pregnant. Seeing Lara's version only rubbed salt into my wounds. No one else mentioned the sizing being funky. My measurements almost exactly matched the measurements on the pattern size chart - in fact they were slightly larger than those on the pattern but I figured I'd get away with it. Looks like I could have gone down a couple of sizes.
What an awful waste of beautiful fabric, I hope I can salvage it. I'm planning to order this skirt in the very near future and hopefully I can squeeze it out of the panels on this failure. I might try this pattern again sometime next winter.
On a happier note I've found a Lola that I love. Ohhh Lulu's Lola undies. They're fabulous. I made two test pairs in random cotton lycra scraps and I can't wait to make some pretty ones in nicer fabrics. The suggested leg finish is to turn under and twin needle - which I tried on my other pair. On this pair I used fold over elastic. I prefer the finish of the FOE, but I think it all depends on the fabrics you use.
I treated myself to another couple of pieces of fabric from Tessuti and managed to finish cutting out a pair of pants tonight. Hopefully I can blog them next week.