Wednesday 28 August 2013

This Lola's no show girl

After seeing this fabulous version of Victory Patterns Lola dress I had to get myself a copy.  It looked like the perfect casual winter dress, great with a pair of boots and tights.

I downloaded the pattern, taped it all together, cut into my beautiful new ponti from Tessuti, top stitched all my seams and then tried it on.

That's not a happy face is it?


This dress is absolutely enormous.  I look six months pregnant.  Seeing Lara's version only rubbed salt into my wounds.  No one else mentioned the sizing being funky.  My measurements almost exactly matched the measurements on the pattern size chart - in fact they were slightly larger than those on the pattern but I figured I'd get away with it.  Looks like I could have gone down a couple of sizes.


What an awful waste of beautiful fabric, I hope I can salvage it.  I'm planning to order this skirt in the very near future and hopefully I can squeeze it out of the panels on this failure.  I might try this pattern again sometime next winter.

On a happier note I've found a Lola that I love.  Ohhh Lulu's Lola undies.  They're fabulous.  I made two test pairs in random cotton lycra scraps and I can't wait to make some pretty ones in nicer fabrics.  The suggested leg finish is to turn under and twin needle - which I tried on my other pair.  On this pair I used fold over elastic.  I prefer the finish of the FOE, but I think it all depends on the fabrics you use.


I treated myself to another couple of pieces of fabric from Tessuti and managed to finish cutting out a pair of pants tonight.  Hopefully I can blog them next week.

14 comments:

SewCraftyChemist said...

Ooooh. That is a really 'not happy' face :/ The red is stunning and I hope you can make it into something that makes you gleeful! :)

Nice undies too! I have, for some reason, been avoiding doing this even though I want to.

Marie said...

It is a shame the pattern ran huge. I hope you can salvage the fabric with another pattern - it looks lovely.

thornberry said...

Oh bummer. I reckon that I would cut all the seams off and then sew it up again. That will automatically make it smaller all over. I think that I did what I usually do - measured the actual flat pattern rather than going by the sizes on the pattern envelope. Commiserations! But the undies look good!

katherine h said...

Do you think that maybe ponti is too stiff for this pattern...the other versions you link to all seem to be in a softer fabric?

Comfy undies is a success though.

Rachel said...

That fabric is to die for - hope you can save it! I hate it when this sort of thing happens ... feeling your pain!

coco said...

Oh my goodness! this happened to me once, it was a blouse pattern from Neue Mode. And my expression looked like yours. Cut that bugger off and make yourself a skirt!

Sharon said...

Oh dear that is disappointing and hope you can salvage some of this gorgeous fabric. Thank goodness the undies worked.

Anonymous said...

Wo! I sewed up the size 2 (which is an inch bigger than me everywhere, measurements-wise) and it fit fine.
I did my usual shortening at the waist and then more at the hem by comparing against pre-owned stuff but-it fits fine otherwise.
Issues with the grading maybe?

Gabrielle said...

Oh no, that's so disappointing - and the pattern really looks ike it should be great on you! I hope you can make something else lovely from your fabric. Thank goodness the undies are winners - I'll have to check that pattern out.

Gail said...

I recommend basing your size on the finished garment measurements. Some pattern have up to 9cm wearing ease!!

Zoë said...

What a shame about the Lola dress! Perhaps you should contact a few bloggers who have made a Lola and see what they say. I think you could probably take it in and it would look just fine.

honigdesign said...

Ooh really unfortunate about the sizing but I bet it will look fabulous when you take it in, and you will look great in it! That fabric is beautiful.

Carolyn said...

Oh it's a pity to not use that glorious fabric. What a wonderful colour! Would it be possible to unpick and resew the seams to fit you? I would certainly give that a go. But the undies do look terrific :)

velosews said...

Boy. I hope the Chloe I bought works. Mmmm.