Friday 22 February 2013

A little bit of pretty

If feels so good to sit down and sew something from start to finish, even if it is just a pair of undies :)


I've been planning on making Amy's Rosy Ladyshorts pattern for weeks and Wednesday night I decided the dishes, washing and all the other housework could wait because I was going to sew.  And it was awesome.  These are only two pattern pieces and a little bit of stretch lace.  I cut out a size 10 and used a light weight pale pink rayon jersey with a scrap of white cotton for the lining.  I thought these looked so good that I immediately wanted to get a production line going and completely restock my underwear drawer.  Thankfully I had the good sense to wear them first.  They are supremely comfortable but I could easily go down a size or 2 if I was going to use rayon jersey again.  I'm going to try the 10 again using a cotton lycra to see how different the fit is.  The great thing is that Amy covers this type of thing in her construction notes which is fantastic for people who haven't sewn much with knits.


I really do seem to have lingerie on my mind at the moment because I also finished off this shockingly bright watermelon pink slip that has been lying on my sewing table for months.  I'm not sure why I stopped - I think I had to change the thread to fix something for one of the kids and then got distracted by other things.  Anyway, it's a copy of a RTW slip that I bought when I first started my current job about 7 years ago.  That slip is still going strong, but it's incredibly short, almost tunic length (not so good when worn under a wrap dress on a windy day).


Just like my RTW version this one has a round neck on one side and a v neck on the other.  I finished the hem with a dainty little scallop just because it makes me smile.


Two super simple projects but I already love both of them and can see a few more in the future.  My plan for this weekend is to finish up a couple of other things that are half made - I really don't want any UFOs dragging down my sewing mojo.  Do you have any plans for the weekend?

8 comments:

thornberry said...

I've just cut out a pair of the ladyshorts too! Yours look very cute - and it's interesting to hear about how they wear. That little scallop hem on the slip is lovely.

fabric epiphanies said...

Oh yes, sewing time is much more fun! I love the lady shorts, they are soo pretty. I am interested in how you did that scallop. It is such a lovely finish.

katherine h said...

I'm curious about the scallop also! Did you sew the scallop or is it an added trim?

Great to fit in some happy sewing time!

Sharon said...

Very pretty lingerie and for the weekend hopefully getting some sewing done as we are having a very wet one.

Bernice said...

Very sweet. I really should try out this pattern. I'm intrigued about the scallop edging too. How did you create that effect?

Carolyn said...

Two very pretty pieces. So very satisfying to finish two things quickly like that :)

velosews said...

These are really lovely pieces. The finishing is just adds to their loveliness.

Gabrielle said...

These are so lovely - both the ladyshorts and the slip - and they look so beautifully made! Did you end up making lots more?