Sunday 3 March 2013

Bread and butter sewing

Sorry for the slow drip feed of posts - I'm transitioning into a new role at work and I'm working a bunch of extra hours. It's a great experience but a real blow to my sewing time :)


I love the range of Sewaholic patterns but I'm still trying to come to grips with the sizing.  I've made an Alma (not blogged) in a size 14 and it was way too big.  For this Renfrew I used a size 10 and it's OK but feels too small through the shoulders and the arms.  I am happy with the fit from the waist down though.  My only modifications were to leave off the bands and finish the hems with a twin needle, add an extra inch of length though the waist and two inches at the hem.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this pattern - it's a nice addition to my dwindling pile of everyday basics (and it was perfect for a walk on the beach).  I'm so excited about my next project and I can't wait to show you, I just need to get some photos - why does that often feel like the hardest part?

6 comments:

katherine h said...

That looks like a beautiful place to go walking. I find getting photos the hardest part too. Hope you find some more sewing time soon.

poppykettle said...

Photos are ALWAYS the hardest part! For me, anyway.
I had the same problem with the Renfrew - too tight in the shoulders and pretty much ok waist down. But then, Sewaholic patterns are designed for pear shapes - you're obviously un-pear-like, like me. I added an extra 1.5cm at the shoulders and it was a great fit :)

Coco said...

Oh, I would love to walk with you, such a pretty locale. Your top looks so nice - but I did laugh when I read all your changes - seems like our simplest basics try us the most! I like this pattern without the band as well. Good luck with that new role, can be so challenging...

Bernice said...

Good basic. I still haven't got myself a basic tee pattern. Crazy given all the sewing I do. Taking photos are always the hardest part for me too.

Gabrielle said...

Yes, photos are a real challenge, aren't they!

I have yet to try a Sewaholic pattern but sounds like they'd fit my miniature shoulders :-)

Hope your transition is going well.

Zoe said...

Sounds like you're getting really close to perfecting your Renfrew pattern though, I'm sure you'll be totally happy with your next one! It's really satisfying making something that you know will see at lot of wear, isn't it? xx