Friday 28 January 2011

Butterick 5564 - pleat sleeve top

Nearly two weeks since my last post and nothing to show for it!  I had such high hopes for this pattern but I should have realised that there was potential for problems when the pattern envelope only had a sketch.


Here's the top on Ruby.  I cut a size 14 adding two inches to the length and it all came together really easily but I'll never wear it because it looks ridiculous.


I thought that the sleeve pleats would sit under the bust and that the sleeve would be much fuller.  As it is the top is flat across the bust and the pleats are all baggy under my arms.  This looks awful and limits my movement.  I can put my hands on my hips but if I try to raise my arms any higher, the whole top rides up.  I think I need to join Pattern Review so that I can research patterns before I sew them up.

I love this fabric so I don't want to waste it and Kristy has inspired me to turn this wadder into something else.

I've got a week off work so I'm planning on spending some time in my sewing room but I'm just not sure what to work on.  I desperately need some new work clothes so perhaps I'll start browsing patterns and blogs for inspiration.

4 comments:

toy said...

That's a shame that you didn't care for the resulting garment. The color is nice though.

Robyn said...

Hi Toy - thanks for both your comments - I appreciate your support.
Cheers, Robyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn,

Soooo...just so you know...I'm on PR, and this pattern hasn't been reviewed yet anyway, which is how I found you! Also, you can read reviews there without being a member. You just can't access anything older than 6 months, or access the knowledge base.

I have this pattern out on my sewing table at the moment. I also started feeling a little skeptical about it with only the sketches. Sounds like I won't waste my time (or fabric on this one). Sorry that you became the guinea pig. I hope that you are able to make something that you DO love with that beautiful green fabric.

Good luck!
Nancy

Robyn said...

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for letting me know about PR. I'll show a picture of the top on me and you'll get to have a bit of a laugh. I'd save your fabric for something else! Thanks for stopping by.

Robyn