Monday 24 June 2019

Cottesloe velvet lounge set

The Megan Nielsen Cottesloe pattern was released as Australia heads into winter so it didn't seem like the right time to be making a pair of bathers but I really wanted to try the pattern.


A quick search of the stash unearthed this stretch velvet from Spotlight.  I'd actually call it velour (like the popular track pants back in the day) but Spotlight says it's stretch velvet.  Whatever you call it, I just love the colour and the feel of it.  I could not get this colour to photograph well, it's a really saturated jewel toned blue.  It looks very luxe.

I decided to make view C and cut a size 14 top and size 16 bottoms based on my measurements. 

For lounge wear, the fit is fine, but I wouldn't feel secure swimming in these.  When I make these again as bathers I would reduce the length of the under bust elastic (in fact, I'd use the top from view D) and I would either size down in the bottoms or tighten the elastic for a more secure fit.  But that's the great thing about sewing, you get to customise your projects so the fit is exactly how you like it.


I've got to say this was a really simple project, perfect for a Friday night after a long week at work. 

No comments: