Monday 4 August 2014

Re-igniting the mojo

All I have to show you today is my new infinity scarf - a glorified loop and the most basic of beginner projects - but it feels so good to be sewing again.  There has been a constant drip of nastiness at work, just enough to take the enjoyment out of the day and steal away any energy I had for sewing once I got home from work.


With Thursday and Friday out of the office I was able to get my head in a more positive place and spent some quality time in my sewing room.


This scarf is made from some lovely 100% wool jersey from Tessuti and it had been playing on my mind.  I had a specific project in mind when I bought it, but when it arrived I felt like it was too light weight.  It's quite sheer.  Now, it's entirely my fault, but Tessuti isn't cheap and the cost of adding two meters to the stash when I couldn't envisage a project was adding to the negativity I had going on.


When I hit on the idea of the infinity scarf it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.  I whipped up the scarf (perfect for the extra chill in Melbourne at the moment), cut and sewed a dress and traced off two new patterns.  Mojo restored and I felt so much better heading back to work today.


Such a long post for such a small project, but sometimes sewing really is the best therapy :)

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Looks like the perfect thing for those cold days we are all experiencing. Sorry to hear work has been stressful, but try and get in the sewing room, I find it clears my head.

poppykettle said...

A simple project can just be so invigorating, yes? Perfect for the chilly freshness we're getting :)

Funkbunny said...

I'm glad that you've got your mojo back and found some more positive energy!

Marie said...

I am sure it would feel good to be sewing again. Nothing wrong with a simple project - it must have been good to be able to cut out the other projects straight after.

I have no stamina to want to sew after work. Maybe if I were more organized I could do bits and pieces, but I like to do it when I am feeling fresher, like on the weekend.

Gabrielle said...

Work sounds so wearing! I do think the act of making stuff with your own hands - even if it's simpler than what you usually make - is an incredible tonic :). And I really like your new scarf too :). The other thing that's helped me put up with stress at work in the past has been having a good brisk walk (or even a run) at lunchtime. But if it's looking like a long-term problem ie the person(s) ain't moving on, can you transfer to another team?