Sunday 3 June 2012

Trend testing - Butterick 5672

Peplums are everywhere right now.  They're in the shops, on the blogs and they keep popping up on Pinterest.  I tried a couple on in the shops but with my height the peplum always started too high up my torso.  So I did what any self respecting seamstress would do and made my own.


This is actually a two piece outfit.  I figured that I'd get more wear out of a top and skirt than I would a dress incorporating a trend (who knows if peplums will still be around next season).  Now I know Vogue has released a pattern for a peplum top (Erica B has put it to good use) but I really didn't want to add another pattern to my stash, particularly when I wasn't sure that I was going to like the end result.  I really like the fit of Butterick 5672 so I decided to use the lining pattern pieces for my outfit.


Here's all the details from the last time I made this up.  This time I added an extra 1/2 inch to the bodice piece.  To make the peplum I drew a circle with a 42cm radius and then cut a circle out of the middle using a small plate.  I pinned the circle in different spots to decide how full I wanted it to be - in the end it's a little bit over 3/4 of the circle.  I ended up removing about 1.5 inches from the peplum length and narrow hemmed it (after letting it sit for a couple of days in case the bias sections stretched).  I love the end result - it's not too full but has a lovely twirl-a-bility!  


The skirt was so easy, it was straight out of the envelope with an elastic waist.  I measured my waist with the elastic and then overlocked (serged) it to the edge and then folded over, tacking it down at the side seams.  Couldn't be any easier.  I put this on one day last week to wear to work, but felt too 'eighties' in it so it ended up on the wardrobe floor for a couple of days.  On Friday I pulled it out and I couldn't wait to wear it.  I love the way it looks and I got a lot of compliments at work too.  It's amazing how much my state of mind influences the way I feel about my clothes.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Love the twirlability and the self respecting seamstress thought process worked out perfectly.

Cal said...

Love it! It really worked out well it seems, and I like the plain grey to counterbalance it and make it modern looking.

Bernice said...

Your outfit looks really lovely on you. I think you have the right body shape to pull off the peplum, so to speak. The turquoise necklace looks lovely against the grey. I think the peplum is one style I'll be avoiding. Really, I don't need to add anymore width to my already wide hips.

katherine h said...

Cute dress and clever idea to make it in 2 pieces.

fabric epiphanies said...

What an ingenious use of an existing pattern. I am still to make this pattern up.