I show you all my beautiful new patterns and then what do I sew? Something that has been in my pattern stash for ages. And it doesn't look good. Here's the story.
First I thought I'd use this fabric.
Then as I'm pinning it all I can see is a recurring pattern that looks more than a little like a naked woman. Or is that just me?! It got the better of me and I put that fabric away and pulled out something else.
There are so many positive reviews for McCall's 5977 on Pattern Review that I just jumped right in. I cut a size 14 and added 2 inches to ensure the waist point hit at my waist. The fit is too big on top, too tight around the hips and pooling at the back. I really need a few simple tops in this style so I'll probably persevere and make some changes to the pattern to get a fit I'm happy with. Or try the Sorbetto top.
The sad part is I used a beautiful peacock blue silk satin, I'll be salvaging these pieces and thankfully I still have plenty left to make something else. This really drains the sewing mojo, but I've learnt my lesson. I need to spend more time making sure the end garment fits well; measuring more, tissue fitting and making a muslin if I want a really good fit.
And to finish on a happier note I did re-hem this maxi dress I made last year (I was inspired by Fix-it Friday). I love the dress but for whatever reason I didn't make it quite long enough. Every time I wore it I felt like it looked wrong - so I cut it off and it now sits just above the knee. Much better.