Sunday 10 July 2011

Frankenpattern

I've been working away at this dress for a bit over a week.  10 minutes here and 20 minutes there and I finally got some time to finish it off today.  It's the top of Simplicity 2281 and the bottom of Vogue 8685, with a couple of changes.


Simplicity 2281 is supposed to be made up in a woven fabric and I've used a stretchy rayon knit. 
I was playing with my patterns and my fabrics and I really liked the idea of using this teal knit for the top.
I cut view B in a size 14, omitted the zip, extended the neck ties and added an elastic casing for the cuffs.  I also needed to cut about 1.5 inches off the bottom of the bodice piece as the weight from the skirt section pulled it too low.

Sorry - this is a really crappy picture.

I must admit the dress looks better on me than it does on Ruby.  I really liked the panelled pieces of Vogue 8685 so decided to just use them again, this time in a black ponte knit.


Overall I'm really happy with the way the dress turned out and I can't wait to wear it.  I think Simplicity 2281 is a great pattern and will probably make it up properly at some stage, but if you're thinking of making you might want to keep an eye on the neck ties.  In a woven you cut it on the bias, interface and attach it.  I found it difficult to get the ties to fit the neckline as marked and that was using a stretchy knit and also that they're not very long.  One other thing is the back neck opening, it does fall open a little bit even when the ties are quite tightly tied.  If that's likely to bother you it might be worth using some interfacing.

I'm off to bed.  Have to keep up my strength so that I can host a second child's party in 3 days, at least this one is at a play centre.  I had 16 12yo at my house on Friday night and boy can they make a lot of noise!

5 comments:

Bernice said...

What a striking looking dress. The teal looks fabulous against the black. I really like the panelled pieces on the skirt too. Can't wait to see a photo of it on. Good luck with your next party!

Eugenia said...

Beautiful dress! I love how you have put this together - it looks fabulous and I especially love the colour combination!

Sharon said...

That is going to look stunning on you, love the colours and how you have put it together.

PurpleMum said...

Very nice, that has turned out so well. Have fun at the party, i will be thinking of you, glad I didn't ring Friday night!!!

Audrey said...

Great combination of patterns. The Simplicity pattern bottom is so much more attractive and fitted than the original gathered Vogue bottom. Teal and black are one of my favorite color combos.