Monday 12 August 2013

Golden shoulders - Burda 09/2012 #123A

Yep, still here.  Thanks for all your kind words and well wishes.  I shout my good news from the roof tops and then disappear for a month.  I'm not too proud to say that there have been days lately where I have been so tired that I've wanted to cry.  But, hey it's character building, right?!

Sewing.  You came here for the sewing.  Well I have managed to squeeze in tiny little bits of sewing and during one of those sessions I made Burda 09/2012 #123A.  I loved Christy's version but I don't go anywhere to wear actual sparkles - so I used matte sequins instead.


I love the way this top turned out.  I cut my usual Burda 42 and added an extra two inches in length to the body and one inch to the sleeves.  I didn't need to.  I'll leave the sleeves but when I get the chance I'll go back and take two inches off the hem.  Sorry about the dodgy photos - it's never easy to take pictures of yourself in winter.


I've never sewn with sequins before and it was pretty fun.  Messy, but fun.  I really love the matte sequins and I can see it pared with more white fabric in some sort of summer dress...but not just yet because it's cold and it's wet and I want some more warm clothes to wear.


I haven't had much of a chance to comment on other blogs, but when I get the chance I love to check in on you all and get my sewing fix.  The online sewing community is such a great place.  Hopefully it won't be another month before my next post.

9 comments:

katherine h said...

Those matte sequins are pretty funky!

I can't seem to find time to sew or blog myself lately. I've noticed that a lot of my favourite bloggers don't blog so much lately...I guess life catches up with us all.

Sharon said...

Love those matte sequins and the top. I did manage to trace this out the other week and now to find the right fabric for the shoulders.

Christy said...

I love your sequins - def more day wear than mine. I know what you mean about winter photos. I've had projects sitting 3 weeks for photo moments.

fabric epiphanies said...

Welcome back! I know what you mean by overwhelming tiredness but hang in there it will get easier! The thing I struggle with at the moment is finding enough daylight hours for photographs and sewing black but hey it is on its way!

poppykettle said...

This is awesome! I absolutely love the matt sequin fabric you've used here. Any tips for sewing with sequins though? I'm about to try a dress in the stuff for a fancy occasion and keep anxiously glancing between the fabric and my sewing machine!
And welcome back :)

Philippa said...

Your sequins are very glam, while still being daywear appropriate :) totally identify with the tiredness issue. Just doing what you can is fine! I don't blog as often as I would like (or sew as often as I would like for a matter of fact!). I remind myself it's something I do for fun.

Carolyn said...

Your top is lovely and funky at the same time! I would totally buy this if I saw it in a store.
Sorry to hear about the tiredness, I remember from my own fulltime days with three kids too. Hang in there (virtual hug)

honigdesign said...

Oooh love this. And congratulations on the new job!

velosews said...

You've done a great job with these sequins and I hope you get to make a summer version soon.