Sunday 8 January 2012

Smalls

I made undies!  Sorry if this all becomes too much information but I'm really impressed with my first foray into making underwear.


I've started going through my wardrobe weeding out the things that don't fit or need replacing and I discovered that I'm in desperate need of new underwear (I just thought I was really slack at keeping up with the washing!)


I love these Elle McPherson Intimates but at the moment $15.95 each is a bit too rich for my budget.  I decided it couldn't be that hard to make my own so I grabbed an old pair and cut them up to make my own pattern.


I pulled out my bag of fabric scraps and started cutting.  I made one pair and took them for a test drive before I made any more.  They were just as good as the originals so I ended up making a selection (nine pairs!).  These were all made on my regular sewing machine using the twin needle to sew down the leg binding and waistband.  Now that I know how easy it is I'm not sure I'll be buying them again.

9 comments:

Judith said...

You will be putting Elle out of business at this rate. Great job on the undies - feels good to do some things and save $$$ at the same time...

Sharon said...

Agree about the cost of the Intimates but I only seem to have poly in my stash, so nice cotton and elastic scares me, maybe something I need to conquer this year :)

PurpleMum said...

Wow! Do you take orders?????

fabric epiphanies said...

They look fantastic! I have had a go myself but am keen to perfect them this year.

Sølvi said...

Yay! Congrats, it can be quite addictive making them, don´t you think? I have trouble with finding fabric with just the right amount of elasticity though. What kind of fabric did you use?

Marie said...

They look great. I love wearing my own unders, I prefer them over my store bought ones.

Carolyn said...

Well done, these look absolutely fantastic!

Bernice said...

9 pairs! So impressive. Your binding also looks very impressive. If you keep making them from all your scraps you'll have a matching pair for each outfit!

I'm in the middle of making lingerie at the moment. No where near as fast as you though.

katherine h said...

These look Great! I love the maxi in your previous post...gorgeous colour. I also love the earlier kelly green top. Happy sewing in 2012.