Sunday 12 June 2011

Kids Clothing Parade

There has been quite a lot of kid sewing happening lately - and I'm taking advantage of it while I still can.  So far I think everything has come from my beloved Ottobre magazines, I only wish that I had discovered these when the girls were still babies.  


C is modelling the Nana dress from 6/2008 number 37.  I've combined the width of size 152 with the length of 164 and made it up in a mid weight wool jersey.  I'm not sure that this dusky pink is the best colour for her but she's happy with it.  C was really happy with it until she tried it on and then she felt like she was being choked by an old fashioned night gown. 

In the end I widened and scooped the neck quite a bit, but I did use a neckband rather the just fold under and sew as directed.  My sister pleated one side of the dress for an asymmetrical look, but it the end C just wanted it to be shorter.  I had not planned on this being a mini dress, the old saying 'measure twice and cut once' is ringing in my ears. 


P is wearing the Hooded Sweater from Ottobre 4/2007 number 34 in a size 128.  This size corresponded exactly with her measurements , but I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks on her.  The only alteration I made was to lengthen the body by about an inch.  The sleeves look almost ridiculously long compared to the length of the body.  P says it's comfy and she likes it and C & G have put in orders for ones in other colours so it's a winner for the kids.


And a super quick one to round it out - a pair of pink and white striped leggings, size 128 from Ottobre 1/2009 design number 32.  These are pretty loose, I prefer leggings to have negative ease so next time I'll use a different pattern and just add length to a size 116.

I'm loving this long weekend, I've managed to finish quite a few things that have been hanging around for a while and plan quite a few new projects. Hopefully you'll see a finished item tomorrow.

1 comment:

Bernice said...

You have been sewing up a kiddo storm. My daughter would kill for that pink 'veloury' stuff! There's something really satisfying about sewing for kids. I think it's because the fit doesn't have to be perfect and we're willing to 'make do'. I'm so much more fussy with the fit on myself.