Tuesday 5 December 2017

Simplicity 8228 bralette and bonus knickers

So I finally took my first step into the world of bra making and it's pretty fun.


I decided to start with a relatively easy project and chose Simplicity 8228, partly because it was a soft cup bra so no fiddling with underwires and partly because I love just about everything about Madalynne's aesthetic.


This is view A with a 36 band and a DD cup and I used a lovely kit from Tailor Made Shop so I didn't need to worry about finding all the bits and pieces.  My standard RTW size is a 34D but I went with the sizing indicated by the pattern.  I also noted that on Maddie's website she mentions that some people find the halter straps too short so I added around 3 inches in length.


This was so much fun to make - it's by no means perfect but it was a great starter project.  If you'd like to see a modeled shot take a look at this instagram post (scroll to second photo).


In the end I removed 2.5 inches of the extra length that I added to the straps, I also added elastic to the bottom of the band.  This wasn't included in the instructions but I noted that Ying had done that on her versions and had included enough elastic in the kit.  It certainly makes the bra feel more secure.  Unfortunately, my cup runneth over!  Despite making the DD, there's still not enough volume in the cups (conveniently, what you can't see in the insta photo is what doesn't fit in the cup!)


I actually bought a couple of kits to make this so I'm hoping that at least one of my teens would like the racer back version because I'm keen to sew it up.

Still on a lingerie bend I recently made these Evie la Luve Esme knickers.  They're a really quick sew and despite the front edges looking quite fluted in the photo below they sit flat when worn (there's no elastic on the leg edge, it's just overlocked and sewn down).


The overlap detail is really pretty and it's a great pattern for showing off a gorgeous stretch lace.  I don't think these will replace my beloved Bella's but they're a nice option to have.  I've got plans for a couple of other colour combos so there's likely to be more of these in the future.  Now I really need to go finish my work pants so that I have something to wear over these!


2 comments:

poppykettle said...

Absolutely love the blue lace of the Evia la Luv's, just gorgeous. Madalynn's aesthetic is just beautiful, isn't it? Your bralette is gorgeous, even if a wee bit nqr - gotta start somewhere ;)

sasha said...

ef759 gabor norge,gabornilkkurit,soreljapan,muckbootdam,etniesshoesjapan,Vivobarefoot apavi,ecco suomi,clarks buty męskie,danner bottes dx316