Thursday 23 October 2014

White for summer - Simplicity 2250

As I put this jacket on again this morning I realised that I still hadn't blogged it.


As I was making this up I didn't think I was going to like it.  The sleeves are wider than I was expecting and a lot shorter (despite adding additional length) and I was worried that it wouldn't work very well with either my figure or my existing wardrobe.  It was miserable on the day we took these photos hence the dark, slightly blurry indoor shots taken by my totally disinterested 11 year old.

Turns out I shouldn't have worried - it's incredibly versatile and very comfy and I'm surprised how often i'm wearing it!


This is Simplicity 2250 in a size 14.  I added 1.5 inches in extra length to the sleeves and through the body.
I couldn't find an exact match for the bias binding, and I didn't want a contrast so I finished the edges with a narrow band (below).


This was made using leftovers from another project so I had to piece the band, but I think it has worked pretty well.  I've also left off the shoulder pads and front self lining.  This is possibly the most basic jacket anyone could make - it would be a great beginner project.

At the end of September I drew myself up a sewing plan for October - I was more than a little ambitious and have barely had time to get to my machines.  I'm considering taking patterns and fabric in to work and using the boardroom table on my lunch break - does anyone else do this? 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Give it a go I say! Love the jacket, very nice.

Christy said...

I've made many of these and wear them all the time. I size down for ponte, never line and never use shoulder pads. Once you've made one, it will be hard to stop. I might have to make a white one now :)

Accordion3 said...

In the past I have taken sewing to my kids' dancing classes. I have hemmed jeans, repaired knee holes and re-stitched seams.

Once I took some cutting out to do and used a spare room with lots of tables. I've also taken my overlocker in and done all he edges on a project, before using the sewing machine.

Never done it at work though. Too much chance of puts going loose and fluff appearing on more senior staff members - the one's with no sense of humour.

Sharon said...

You have made yourself a very versatile jacket and it looks great on you.