Thursday 2 January 2014

Fasting and goals



Happy New Year to you all.

This year I am joining in Goodbye Valentino's RTW fast.


In 2014 I won't be purchasing any RTW clothing.  I've been debating whether or not to sign up since I first saw the invitation and I've decided that sometimes you just need to jump and work out the details later!  I kept trying to work out why I wanted to do it and the answer came to me when I was getting dressed for work.  I couldn't find anything to wear (yes, yes I know, we all say that as we stand in front of a full wardrobe).  In all honesty I have kept so many clothes that I don't wear because they don't fit me/aren't my style that it's a real struggle when I get dressed.  I end up donating a lot of what I buy.  I need more clothes that fit me.  So today I'm sorting through everything that doesn't fit or feel good, donating it and then writing a big sewing list!!

My sewing goals for 2014 are pretty simple.  

  1. Be realistic.  I work a full time job and have three kids who each play a whole lot of sport.  I don't have many spare hours to sew.  I shouldn't expect the same type of output as someone who sews for a living!! (Comparison is the thief of joy, right?!)
  2. Use the lingerie kits.  I now have five beautiful lingerie kits, another two on the way and several patterns in my stash and I haven't sewn one bra.  I will remedy that this year.
  3. Sew BWOF #105 9/2008.  It has been on my 'to sew' list since it came out.  I have the fabric and the buttons, and I even started it in 2012 but stopped when I realised it was way too big.  Time to get it done.
  4. Make a versatile, really warm winter coat.  With all the kids sport there is going to be plenty of weekends and nights spent outdoors and I'm not going to shiver because I don't have a warm coat.  I have the fabric, I have the pattern. 
  5. Get off the couch and into the sewing room.  There are too many times when I flop on the couch at the end of a long day and blog surf.  Then I complain to Wade that I have no time to sew.  I need to use my time better.
That's it.  Short and simple but I'm sure it won't be easy, especially number 5.  Do you make resolutions/goals?  If you do, how do you keep on track?

4 comments:

Bernice said...

These all sound like good realistic goals. Particularly for a mother juggling full work, kids and sport. Either though I'm not planning on doing a rtw fast I do find that I rarely by clothes anymore - they're never exactly right. I hope you achieve your goals and have a fabulous year of sewing.

Summer Flies said...

I love your quote "comparison is the thief of joy" - I'm going to remember that. Great achievable goals. Good luck!

Gabrielle said...

Happy new year Robyn! I kind of wish I had the guts to do the RTW fast this year - maybe next year! Years ago I remember reading an interview with a very well-dressed young woman who said the way she did it was by having a very small wardrobe that only included clothes that really looked great on her. I think the RTW fast could do it too!

Sharon said...

Happy New Year Robyn! Interesting how we find that the clothes we sew for ourselves are so much more us than any RTW. Don't be too keen on getting rid of everything, you do need to go to work :)

I purchased 1 dress last year and that was only because it fit me so perfectly but otherwise my purchases are limited to cardigans and lingerie! I also need to make up my lingerie sets!