Thursday 2 February 2012

Meh - Simplicity 2219

Underwhelmed.  I think that's the best way to describe how I feel about this dress.  It's not properly finished and the photo is terrible, but you get the idea.


There's nothing really wrong with the pattern and I like the fabric - though it probably wasn't the best option for this dress - but it just makes me feel blah.

extra gathering

I used a drapey rayon fabric, too drapey, the gathers ended up all saggy and I had to run two extra rows of gathering down the panels.  I added 1.5 inches above the waistline on the skirt and another 2 inches to the hem.  I should have added extra length to the top sections.  When I tried it on the top only just finishes under my bust (and I'm pretty average in that dept - no FBAs here).  I ended up using a 1/4 inch seam allowance to provide a bit of extra room.  Because I used a 1/4 inch seam I didn't have room to make a casing for the elastic in the waist seam, but I really don't think you need it.  I also used a rolled hem to finish the flutter sleeves rather than a narrow hem.

Sitting crooked on Ruby

I think I need to take a bit more notice of my natural tendencies.  When I walk into a shop or I'm browsing Pinterest I very rarely go for the jersey dresses.  Generally I go for lightly tailored or fitted clothes, definitely more wovens than knits.  I feel more polished/better dressed when I wear this style.  So why have I been focussing my sewing on knits?

I'll pull out the basting and gathering stitches and wear this dress around the house, but it's time for something different.

4 comments:

Lynneb said...

that's too bad. It looks like it could of been a really cool dress. happirr project ahead,Robyn!

Sharon said...

Sorry it didn't work and I think we expect knits to be a quick satisfying project, not always the case.

fabric epiphanies said...

If you don't like it, can you reinvent it either as a tunic or t-shirt. I have to say though, it looks pretty good on the model.

Carolyn said...

What a pity... and I find that if you don't absolutely love a dress you will never wear it. Perhaps the fabric could be recycled into something else?