Meh - Simplicity 2219

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Underwhelmed.  I think that's the best way to describe how I feel about this dress.  It's not properly finished and the photo is terrible, but you get the idea.

There's nothing really wrong with the pattern and I like the fabric - though it probably wasn't the best option for this dress - but it just makes me feel blah.

extra gathering

I used a drapey rayon fabric, too drapey, the gathers ended up all saggy and I had to run two extra rows of gathering down the panels.  I added 1.5 inches above the waistline on the skirt and another 2 inches to the hem.  I should have added extra length to the top sections.  When I tried it on the top only just finishes under my bust (and I'm pretty average in that dept - no FBAs here).  I ended up using a 1/4 inch seam allowance to provide a bit of extra room.  Because I used a 1/4 inch seam I didn't have room to make a casing for the elastic in the waist seam, but I really don't think you need it.  I also used a rolled hem to finish the flutter sleeves rather than a narrow hem.

Sitting crooked on Ruby

I think I need to take a bit more notice of my natural tendencies.  When I walk into a shop or I'm browsing Pinterest I very rarely go for the jersey dresses.  Generally I go for lightly tailored or fitted clothes, definitely more wovens than knits.  I feel more polished/better dressed when I wear this style.  So why have I been focussing my sewing on knits?

I'll pull out the basting and gathering stitches and wear this dress around the house, but it's time for something different.


Lynneb said...

that's too bad. It looks like it could of been a really cool dress. happirr project ahead,Robyn!

Sharon said...

Sorry it didn't work and I think we expect knits to be a quick satisfying project, not always the case.

fabric epiphanies said...

If you don't like it, can you reinvent it either as a tunic or t-shirt. I have to say though, it looks pretty good on the model.

Carolyn said...

What a pity... and I find that if you don't absolutely love a dress you will never wear it. Perhaps the fabric could be recycled into something else?